Tuesday 2 April 2013

Facing Reality: Violence against women affects us all.

If I told you that almost 1 in 2 women in the UK have experienced some form of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault or Stalking, would you believe me?

If I told you that every week 2 women in the UK are KILLED by a violent partner or ex-partner, would you be shocked?

If I told you that here in the UK 80,000 women are victims of RAPE every year, would you doubt  me?

If I told you that every 10 minutes an incident of domestic abuse is reported to the Police in Scotland, and it takes an average of 37 incidents before a women is likely to go to the Police, What would you say? 

Sadly, this is the devastating reality of violence against women in the UK. I think the time has come that we ALL face up to these facts, and tackle them once and for all.

I, like you, was shocked to find that so many women are experiencing violence and abuse. I always thought “nothing is ever going to change, it doesn’t affect me so what’s the point?” But I was forced to face reality when my own sister became a victim of violence. I realised it does affect me, as a woman, as a sister and as a friend. Violence against women affects everyone.

A time has come for this to change –YOU REALLY CAN CHANGE THIS!

Like I was, you are probably thinking 'How Can I Change This?'. Well we know that violence against women thrives in a culture of denial and silence. We need to unite and break this silence; exposing and opposing the abuse of our mothers; sisters; friends and daughters.
Start by taking the You Can Change This promise and becoming a change-maker. Then you can take simple steps to bring change: share our social media updates; display our posters; tell your friends and family to make the promise. You can also check out the website to get informed about violence against women and help available so that you can share this with those in need of support.

Don’t think you can’t do it; you definitely can, just like me!
Make a change for yourself, for your sister, your mother, your daughter or your friend today!

Speak soon,
Rozina

No comments:

Post a Comment